Commercial & Industrial Roof Coating Contractors
We provide coating recommendations for commercial flat roofs of all sizes and materials.
Roof coatings (also called roof sealants, coating systems, fluid applied roofing membrane or liquid coatings) are used to seal roofs to protect them from the elements, and often to patch leaky areas. There are coatings formulated for flat metal, asphalt, and rubber roofs.
Why choose US Roofing as your flat roof coating contractor?
Since 1979, US Roofing has been providing high-quality flat roofing services to Wisconsin businesses, including roof repair, restoration and reroofing. We’re known for keeping our projects on-time and on-budget. We use the best materials available and keep overhead costs low, enabling us to price roofing work 10% to 30% less than our higher-priced competitors.
From our headquarters in Watertown we apply coatings to commercial and industrial flat roofs in Milwaukee, Madison, Janesville and everywhere in between. Give us a call or contact us online for a free roof inspection and cost estimate.
Benefits of Professional Roof Coating Systems
A more energy-efficient (and more comfortable) building, lower energy bills, and no scrambling for buckets to collect dripping water every time it rains—who wouldn’t want this? Unfortunately, many businesses get sold on roof coatings by unscrupulous companies out to make a quick buck. They use substandard products, don’t apply them properly, and are nowhere to be found when there’s a problem.
US Roofing has extensive experience applying roof coatings for commercial and industrial buildings throughout southeast Wisconsin. We know roof coatings, and we get the job done right. A professionally applied roof coating offers several compelling benefits, particularly in our southeast Wisconsin climate:
- Keep buildings cooler—A white coating will reflect the sun’s rays, keeping your commercial building cooler inside and reducing your cooling costs.
- Reduce energy costs—With a cooler building, there’s less energy needed to cool it down over the hot months.
- Prevent roof leaks—An extra layer on your roof protects against leaks, as well as helping to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Extend service life of roof—Roof coatings can add years to the service life of your industrial roof.
- Enhance energy star rating—The added energy efficiency roof coatings provide will increase your building’s Energy Star rating, which can enhance its resale value.
- Bolster your business’ green credentials—Roof coatings are an affordable way to show you’re taking steps to make your building as “green” as possible.
Types of Roof Coatings
Silicone is an elastomeric coating that works exceptionally well for flat roofs in Wisconsin. It is easily applied over existing surfaces with a sprayer.
- Less silicone is required than other flat roof coatings
- Silicone doesn’t absorb moisture and will withstand ponding water
- Reflects the sun rays to help keep buildings cooler in summer
- Doesn’t “chalk off” like other flat roof coatings and will stay fully intact for the life of the roof
- Doesn’t require reinforcing with roof fabric—a big time and money saver during installation
- After 10 to 15 years, can easily be recoated
- Silicone is slippery when wet, so walking on it after a rainfall can be hazardous
- It can only be applied to a completely dry roof. If it’s not, the adhesion of the silicone to the roof is compromised
Acrylic roof coatings are liquid elastomeric formulations that are applied in liquid form to roofs. As it dries, it forms a tough membrane that seals the roof entirely and bonds to it with no need for seams or mechanical attachments of any kind.
- Easy to apply
- No volatile organic compounds, no more toxic than conventional house paints
- Resist ponding water
- White color reflects UV rays and as much as 85% of the heat from sunlight
- Remains flexible even at low temperatures
- Withstands foot traffic
- Expands and contracts to accommodate movement of the roof
- Lower life cycle cost than other roof coatings
- Limited service life on aged roofs with badly corroded or deteriorated decking
- Cannot be applied to wet surface or when precipitation is expected
- Take longer to dry than some other coatings
- Cannot be applied in extreme cold
- Roof must be properly and thoroughly cleaned prior to coating
Known as Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF for short), is a liqud polyurethane formulation that expands into a foam when applied to a roof. This enables it to conform to all types of irregularly shaped roofs.
- Can be applied directly over properly cleaned asphalt, shingles, metal, wood and concrete surfaces
- Fills gaps, seams and cracks in existing roof structure
- Expands and contracts with the building, so there’s less chance of cracks or splits developing
- Keeps heat out in summer and in during the winter
- Resists UV rays, so the coating is better protected against UV damage
- Requires only minimal upkeep
- Can last over 50 years with proper maintenance
- Can be coated over when needed, so there’s no need for expensive tear-offs
- Environmentally friendly formulations
- Installers need technical knowledge and experience with the product to ensure a successful application.
- If installed incorrectly, service life of the roof will be compromised, and the substrate underneath may need to be replaced.
Butyl roof coatings are solvent-based elastomeric polymers. They form a flexible, seamless membrane that’s durable and able to expand and contract with temperature changes.
- Superior elongation and tensile strength
- Forms a vapor retardant barrier
- Reflects 80% to 90% of UV rays, greatly reducing cooling costs and extending roof life
- Low solid content means that when the coating has dried completely only a small percentage of solid material remains on the roof.
- More of it has to be applied to get the same desired dry film thickness (DFT) of other coatings
- Application can be tricky—spray equipment can clog easily if not properly cleaned and maintained
Polyurea coatings are sprayable elastomer coatings derived from polymerization of synthetic resins and isocyanate components. It was originally develop dto protect tabletop edges.
- Can be applied to all types of roofing
- Easy to apply and cures quickly
- Excellent elongation and tensile strength
- Expands and contracts with the substrate it’s applied to
- Resists degradation from acid rain and chemical exhaust
- Seals any existing cracks or holes in roof
- Can be colored or textured for slip resistance
- Requires experienced installers
- Equipment needs to be properly cleaned and maintained both before and after application
Asphalt emulsion sealers are rubberized, elastomeric roof coatings formulated with asphalt emulsions.
- Easy to apply
- Creates a seamless, waterproof membrane that virtually eliminates leaks in roof seams
- Block harmful UV rays and helps lower energy use during summer months
- Can add a metal pigmentation for a reflective roof
- Most affordable type of roofing system
- Can only be used on built-up or modified bitumen roofing
- Labor intensive application since it has to be brushed on
- Difficult to get good results if applied on cold days
- Large temperature swings over a 24-hour period tends to cause small cracks that need to be sealed
- In addition to roof coatings we offer polyurethane spray foam insulation for roofs and building structures
Cool Roof Coatings
The term “cool roof” refers to roofs that reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than standard roofs. The goal, of course, is to reduce energy consumption and energy costs. To accomplish this, roofs can be built using highly reflective tiles or shingles, or they can be covered with a highly reflective paint or coating.
US Roofing offers several coating options with reflective pigments that reflect sunlight, as well as providing exceptional resistance to chemical damage and water intrusion. We can coat just about any type of roof, including EPDM, TPO, tar & gravel, and metal roofing.
What's the best coating for my flat roof system?
Choosing the best flat roof coating depends on many factors including the type of substrate and roofing membrane, climate, cost, how the roof is used (is there heavy foot traffic?) and more. Contact U.S. Roofing to schedule a free consultation on the best coating or service for your commercial roof. We’ll do a thorough inspection and find the best way to stretch your dollars while making sure your roof is protecting your building and your assets.
Commercial Roofing Contractors for Coatings, Reroofing & More
US Roofing is a full-service commercial & industrial roofing company serving all of southeast Wisconsin. We can help you with roof coatings and with any flat roof installation or repair work. Contact us today to request a free, no-obligation roof inspection and estimate.
Request a free roof inspection and cost estimate online, or call 920-261-7023.
U.S. Roofing Inc. installs new flat roofing systems and low slope seam roofs anywhere in Wisconsin. We have a full line of coatings.
U.S. Roofing Inc. will take care of all the preventative maintenance you’ll ever need on your existing roofing system – whether we installed it or not.
U.S. Roofing Inc. fixes existing flat roof or low slope metal standing seam roofs no matter who installed it in the first place.